Ease of use and perfect printing. Every user wants that when he installs the new printer. Installing the new printer is easy if the instructions are followed. The following step-by-step instructions will make installing the printer a breeze. In principle, you can print with any device, whether it is a laptop or smartphone and any operating system such as Windows or iOS.
A new installation on a computer is usually performed with a printer driver. This driver acts as a link between the printer and the computer . No additional drivers need to be installed when installing a printer on mobile devices. Only the printer app of the respective manufacturer is required here so that mobile printing can be carried out.
Table of Contents
back to menu ↑
Install printer according to operating system
The steps involved in installing the new printer differ depending on the operating system. In the following we provide you with clear instructions for printer installation for the Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Ubuntu and macOS operating systems. The instructions for installing a new printer are valid for both laptop and computer .back to menu ↑
Install printer Windows 10
Do you use the Windows 10 operating system and want to install a new printer? Here you will find step-by-step instructions on how to establish a manual connection between the printer and the computer.
Note : We recommend manual installation so that the installation of the printer runs smoothly under Windows 10 . With an automatic printer installation, Windows uses a printer driver from its own database so that, in the worst case, the printer cannot be used to print.back to menu ↑
Install a wireless printer with Windows 10
- Go to Start> Settings> Control Panel> Devices and Printers
- Select Add Printer from the menu at the top
- All available printer devices will now be searched for and listed in a list. Note: To install the printer, the printer and the computer must be logged into the same WiFi network.
- Select the appropriate printer and confirm with Next
- The printer is installed with software and drivers
- After the printer has been successfully installed, it will appear under Devices and Printers. With a right click on the printer model, you can set this printer as the default printer under Select default printer.
Install a printer via USB connection with Windows 10
- First connect the printer and computer using a USB connection
- Turn on the printer
- Select Start> Settings> Control Panel> Devices and Printers
- Click on Add Printer at the top of the menu
- All available printers are searched for
- Click on the appropriate printer and select Next
- Printer is being installed
- After the installation, the printer will be displayed under Devices and Printers and is now ready for use
Install printer Windows 8
Here we explain step-by-step how to install the new printer on a computer with Windows 8 . Have you changed the router and need to reinstall the printer? Then you have come to the right place with our installation instructions. Installing a local printer is also possible without admin rights . Admin rights are required to install a network printer.back to menu ↑
Install a local printer
- Call under Start> Settings on
- Select Change PC Settings> PC and Devices> Devices> Add Printer
- In the installation wizard , select Add a local printer
- Now connect the new printer to the computer via USB and switch the printer on. Under Select printer port> Use an existing port, make sure that the correct port is selected.
- To install printer drivers and selecting the model. If the printer is not listed, use Windows Update to search for a new driver. Unless the manufacturer’s installation CD is available on disk and selecting appropriate printer driver.
- Follow the remaining steps in the installation wizard to complete the printer installation
Install a network, wireless, or Bluetooth printer
- Call under Start> Settings on
- Select Change PC Settings> PC and Devices> Devices> Add Printer
- In the installation wizard , select Add a Network, Wireless, or Bluetooth Printer
- Select the appropriate printer from the list of available printers
- If necessary, install the printer driver with admin rights
- Follow the remaining steps in the Add Printer Wizard to complete the installation
Tip : You can check that the installation of the printer was successful by printing a test page.back to menu ↑
Install printer Windows 7
Before the new printer can be used with the Windows 7 operating system , it must first be installed. To do this, follow the step-by-step instructions.
- Click Start> System Preferences
- Select Devices and Printers from
- Start setting up the printer by clicking Add Printer
- Choose between Add a Local Printer or Add a Network, Wireless or Bluetooth Printer. Tip: We recommend installing the printer as a network printer so that other participants in the network can use the printer.
- If the local printer was selected via USB connection, the user must select a printer port – If the printer type network printer was selected, the network searches for available printers. Select the appropriate printer
- Install the printer driver – either you load the printer driver via the network, a printer driver is already available locally on the computer, load a current driver via the Internet via Windows Update or select the manually provided printer driver via CD or USB via the data carrier. Tip: Basically, the most up-to-date printer driver is the most sensible option. So either use the printer driver provided by the manufacturer on a data carrier or download the latest printer driver from the printer manufacturer’s homepage.
- Assign a printer name
- Under Printer Sharing , you can share the printer for networks or switch the feature off
- The printer is installed with the printer driver and is now printing a test page. The newly installed printer should now appear in the Devices and Printers overview.
Install printer Mac
The new printer from HP or Brother is already ready for installation. The Mac is switched on and printing can now start. But how is it actually? How do I easily install the printer on the Apple iMac ?
Note : We recommend that you update your Mac regularly and install software so that connections with the latest printer drivers are problem-free.
- Click on the apple and open System Preferences
- Select printer and scanner
- Click + and add a new printer or scanner
- All available devices are now displayed in a window
- Select the printer or scanner to be installed
- The hardware configuration and the search for the printer driver begin automatically
- If the message would you like to download and install it? comes, confirm with download and install
- If the installation of the printer driver and the printer software was successful, the image of your printer will change
- The printer is now in the corresponding list and printing can be carried out
Tip : Print a test page to check that your Apple device is printing.back to menu ↑
Install printer Ubuntu
Install the new printer under your Ubuntu operating system according to the following instructions . Follow every step of our support guide to avoid printer problems.
- Establish a connection between the printer and the computer via USB
- Under System Settings> Hardware> Printers , select Add from
- Now select your printer and click on Forward
- Now you can either select an existing, possibly outdated printer driver from the database (select driver from database ) or download the latest printer driver from the printer manufacturer’s website (provide PPD file )
- Follow the installation wizard
- Assign a printer name and confirm with Apply
- Finally , select Print a test page to review and complete the printer setup
Install printer and connect to Fritzbox
Connecting a printer directly to a Fritzbox has the great advantage that after the installation and setup has been completed, all devices logged into the network , regardless of whether they are laptops, computers or tablets, can use the printer . In the following instructions we explain how you can easily connect the printer to the Fritzbox.
- Open the Fritzbox user interface on your computer
- Disable the USB remote connection. Select Home network> USB devices and uncheck USB remote connection active. Confirm with Apply
- Establish a connection between the printer and the Fritzbox via USB
- Select Start> Settings> Control Panel> Devices and Printers> Add a Printer
- Select the Add a network, wireless, or Bluetooth printer option > The printer is not listed
- Click Add a Printer Using TCP / ICP Address or a Host Name
- Enter fritz.box in the host name or IP address field and confirm
- The Fritzbox now establishes a connection with the printer
- The printer has been installed in the network and can be used
What are printer drivers?
Basically, printer drivers are software that, in contrast to hardware, such as drives, cannot be touched. Printer drivers are programs and data that are required to install a new printer. They are the link between the printer and the computer . The printer driver indicates, for example, the fill levels of the printer cartridges or reports if there is a problem with the print jobs.
There are several ways to get the printer driver . One possibility is to use the CD supplied by the manufacturer. To install the printer with CD, the CD must be inserted into the data carrier during installation. The computer gets the printer driver from the CD. What to do if no software was supplied by the manufacturer ? Another option is to install the printer without a CD. To do this, you have to search for the current printer driver on the homepage of the respective manufacturer. After downloading the latest driver, the installation either starts automatically or has to be carried out manually.
With updated printer drivers, the manufacturers are expanding the functionality of the printer, among other things. This allows the user to fall back on the latest features and is protected against possible security gaps .
To make sure that the computer automatically downloads the printer driver:
- Go to Start> Settings> Control Panel
- Enter then change device installation settings in the search box at the top right
- Select Yes and confirm with Save changes
Printer drivers by manufacturer
The steps involved in installing the new printer differ depending on the operating system . In the following we provide you with clear instructions for printer installation for the Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Ubuntu and macOS operating systems.back to menu ↑
Install the HP printer
The new HP printer is ready to be installed. But how does installing the printer actually work? With our support instructions , you can install your HP printer quickly and easily.back to menu ↑
Install HP printer via USB connection for Windows 8/10
- Click Start> System Settings> Devices and Printers> Add a Printer
- Select the appropriate HP printer from the list and confirm with Next
- If the printer is not in the list, click The printer that I want is not listed
- Select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings> Next> Use an existing port (USB001: Virtual printer port for USB) > Next
- Use Windows Update to update the printer drivers
- After the update, click HP in the Manufacturer area and select your printer
- Click on Next and follow the instructions of the installation wizard
- After the installation is complete, print a test page to check the printer settings
Install HP printer via USB connection for Windows 7
- Select Start> System Preferences> Devices and Printers> Add a Printer
- Add a local printer> Use an existing port (USB001: Virtual printer port for USB)
- Download the latest printer driver by clicking Windows Update
- In the Manufacturer area, select HP and in the Printer area, select your printer model
- Follow the further instructions in the HP wizard and complete the driver installation
- Print a test page to check it
Download and install printer driver
The latest printer software should be available so that the printer can be installed without problems . If HP did not include printer software in the form of a CD or similar, the driver must be downloaded from HP’s support area . With the help of the instructions you can download and set up the correct driver for your printer from the many different drivers.
- Go to support.hp.com in your browser
- Click Software and Drivers> Printers
- Enter the product name of the printer in the search box
- Confirm your model and select the correct operating system and version of the computer
- Download the appropriate free version from Driver Product Installation Software
Brother printer driver
The new Brother printer is ready, but a major problem has occurred. Simply installing the Brother printer like that is not possible. In the following instructions we will show you how you can download the printer driver from the Brother support site if a driver CD has not been included. This makes printer installation a breeze. Follow the step-by-step instructions and set up the Brother driver without any problems.
Download and install printer driver
- Open your Internet browser support page Brother on
- Either enter the model name of your printer in the search box above or Search on the product category for your printer model
- Confirm the appropriate model and download the appropriate driver for your operating system
- Now follow the instructions so that the printer installation can continue
- After setting up the printer, print a test page to check the connection
Canon printer driver
Canon printers are known for excellent photo printouts. In order for your Canon printer to run optimally, you should download the printer driver from the Canon support site if no driver CD has been supplied . Follow the instructions to download the appropriate printer driver and install the Canon printer.back to menu ↑
Download and install printer driver
- Go to Canon’s support site
- Find your printer model. Either via the printer name in the search field or via the selection by product group
- As soon as you have found your printer, you will be offered drivers, software, manuals and other help
- Select Drivers and click on the appropriate operating system
- Click the Download button
- As soon as the download is complete, the installation will start automatically. If not, start the installation manually
- After successfully installing the software and the printer, it is now available. Print a test page to check
Epson printer driver
The CD for the printer driver is missing or was not supplied by the manufacturer? No problem. You will find the appropriate printer driver on the manufacturer’s support pages so that your Epson printer can be installed properly. To do this, follow the step-by-step instructions.back to menu ↑
Download and install printer driver
- Call the Support page Epson on
- Enter the product name or number in the search box to find your model
- If you don’t know the product name, click don’t know the name of your model and select Printers and All-In-One Devices. Then find your printer.
- Click Drivers and Software
- Make sure that the correct operating system has been recognized
- Click Product Setup > DOWNLOAD
- As soon as the download is complete, it will start automatically. If this is not the case, the installation must be started manually.
- After installing and setting up the printer, print a test page to verify functionality and quality
Install printer on mobile devices
Mobile printing from cell phones or tablets is super practical and is gaining more and more popularity among users. The major printer manufacturers offer mobile print apps for Android, iOS and co . The prerequisite for mobile printing is that your printer is WiFi-enabled . There are different types of communication between printer and mobile device. On the one hand, the printer and mobile phone or tablet can be in a network so that a connection can be established. On the other hand, the printer can be connected to a cloud printing service so that mobile printing can be carried out on the go. This means that printing and productive work can be done almost anywherepossible. Independent of the Android and Apple iOS operating systems, HP, Canon, Brother, Epson and other manufacturers offer effective printer apps with a wide range of functions for printing, scanning, copying or checking the device status.
Note : You do not need to install a printer driver to use the printer on your smartphone or tablet. The printer is installed and set up on Android, iOS and Windows without a driver.back to menu ↑
HP Smart app
With the help of the HP Smart printer app for HP printers, you can print, scan and copy on the go . A network printer is required for a proper connection . With the app, you can monitor the fill level of the printer cartridges or toner. The HP Smart app is suitable for Android, Apple iOS, and other operating systems.
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet and go to the Playstore or App Store and install the HP-Smart app for Android or iOS
- After the installation, open the app and add your printer via the app. either this is displayed automatically or you have to add the printer via +.
- The printer is now set up on your mobile device and can print out documents directly from your smartphone or tablet
Brother iPrint & Scan App
Easy to use and fast printing, scanning, copying and other features are possible with the printer app iPrint & Scan from Brother. Check the device status via the app and have the fill levels of printer cartridges and toner conveniently displayed on your smartphone or tablet. No driver installation is required for this app . Only the connection to the same network of printer and mobile device must exist. The iPrint & Scan app from Brother is suitable for the mobile operating systems of Android, iOS and Windows .
- Go to the App Store or Google Playstore on your smartphone or tablet
- Find and install the Brother iPrint & Scan app
- After completing the installation, the app automatically searches for available printers that are in the same network
- Print a test page from your mobile device and check the properties and functions
Canon PRINT app
The Canon PRINT app for Android and iOS enables Canon printer owners, wireless printing and other functions that can be performed directly from a smartphone or tablet. Using cloud services such as Dropbox or OneDrive, you can conveniently print out documents, e-mails or photos from anywhere. In addition, the levels of printer cartridges and toner can be checked.
- Search for the Canon PRINT app in the App Store or Google Playstore
- Start the free download of the print app
- Start the Canon PRINT app and find your Canon printer on the same network
- If the printer has been set up correctly, it is available for printouts or scans
Epson Connect app
The mobile printing service from Epson, with which you can use your Epson printer via Android or iOS smartphone or tablet, is called Epson Connect. Mobile printing is particularly suitable for users who do not carry out their work in the immediate vicinity of a printer. Simple and problem-free printing via smartphone or tablet is possible with the help of a mobile or cloud printing service.
- Search for the Epson Connect app in the Playstore or App Store
- Install the driverless system on your smartphone or tablet to use the printer
- Find your Epson WIFI printer and start printing a test page to check the functions
With the help of Apple AirPrint, you can easily print out from your iPhone, iPad or Mac . No further installation of a driver is required for this. The printer does not need to be installed on the Apple iPad or iPhone. In the following step-by-step guide , we will show you how to easily print with Apple AirPrint.
Note : An AirPrint-capable printer is required. Please refer to the manual of your printer to see whether this function is available.
- Open a program from which you would like to print (e.g. Notes)
- Click on an appropriate note
- Go to the share icon in the top right
- Choose Print
- All available AirPrint printers are displayed under Select printer
- Go to Print in the upper right corner
- The corresponding document is printed out on the respective printer
Install printer using group policies
An Active Directory is required so that printers can be installed and distributed using group policies . This is a kind of assignment list , such as in an address book, that the addresses are assigned to the respective owners.
An Active Directory enables a network to be structured within a company. It manages user groups, shares and other properties . An Active Directory can be used with a printer in such a way that certain user groups can only scan with the printer and another group can only print with one and the same device. An administrator can organize and monitor the functions and properties.back to menu ↑
Printer installation problems
The printer is installed but still not printing? This is just one of the problems that can arise when installing the printer. But there is also a solution for every problem. We have listed the most common printer problems and their solutions so that you can easily install the printer.back to menu ↑
Driver CD not available
The driver CD was not supplied by the manufacturer or has it simply disappeared? No problem, the printer can also be installed without a driver CD. This blog provides instructions on how to download printer drivers for Brother, Canon, HP and Epson printers . All printer drivers can be found on the respective manufacturer’s support pages.back to menu ↑
Computer cannot find printer
The new printer is ready to be installed, but simply installing the printer does not work because the computer cannot find the printer. The following approaches will help you here. On the one hand, you should check whether the printer is offline . If so, set the printer back online in the printer settings. If you have a USB connection between the printer and your computer, you should check all cable connections . In the case of a network printer, you should consider the connection’s network affiliationcheck the printer and computer. In order for the printer and computer to communicate, the two must be on the same network. If the printer and computer are logged into different networks, this connection problem must be eliminated.back to menu ↑
Install printer after changing router
After a router change , the printer usually has to be reinstalled. This is because changing the router also means changing the IP address. The printer should first be completely uninstalled from the computer . The printer can then be reinstalled with the current printer driver. The printer should now be able to reconnect to the network.back to menu ↑
Printer listed several times
Printing cannot start because your printer is listed more than once under Devices and Printers . This prevents the computer from deciding which is the correct printer. The printer has been installed twice or more than once . Uninstall the appropriate printers until one remains and try printing again. If that does not work, you must also uninstall the last existing printer and reinstall it with the latest driver.back to menu ↑
Printer is not listed
If the printer is not listed during the installation process, a Windows update may be necessary because the printer is not compatible with the current operating system. Download the latest version of the operating system and reinstall the printer with the latest driver.back to menu ↑
Printer does not install automatically
The printer connects to the computer via USB and does not install automatically. First try to change the USB port . It is possible that the first USB port has no function. In addition, the computer may not recognize the printer and the installation may not start automatically. Check whether a manual installation is the solution to the problem. To do this, open the relevant instructions depending on the manufacturer and operating system and follow the instructions.